Board index REPAIR & INFO FROM THE SID DOCTOR! Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs... Stuck on styrofoam and chipped paint

Stuck on styrofoam and chipped paint

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi I'm a new Sid collector and I recently bought a tile off of ebay - the Destiny Red T205

When I received it, the seller packed styrofoam between the skull and the heart. Upon taking out the styrofoam, part of it stuck the heart and some paint got pulled off in the process.

Is there any way to match the color and self repair? Not a great start as a beginning collector :(

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:51 pm

yes there is a fairly easy fix........luckily the paint used is close to off the rack,I dont know the exact formula for it but Basic red Acrylic,I use Americana Brand,.99c at Michaels.....then some Mars Black.

You want about a 90/10 mixture,the black goes a long way.....so 90 parts red to 10 parts black.

Wet sand the heart lightly with at least 400grit

then mix paints,it is easier than you think......it also does not have to be perfect match,repaint the entire heart with the new paint.

then a matte glaze over it once it dries........or Krylon Satin clear coat works great,just tape off tile around heart so you dont get overspray and give it a couple of light coats

Total cost is about $7,much cheaper than sending to me.....you can do it......it is an easy fix.
Beer...........It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Return to Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs...