Board index REPAIR & INFO FROM THE SID DOCTOR! Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs... The 1000th Tile.....Hmmmmm

The 1000th Tile.....Hmmmmm

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Well I spent a few months counting.......I just passed the 950th tile......with the 3 here now it makes 954........

So I must say.....wow.......I knew I was close but goodness that is an overwhelming amount......

I don't even grimace anymore when I open the boxes with the shattered,broken,scraped,scratched,chipped,or otherwise bruised and battered little tiles......

So I decided......I want to pay it forward......and to be honest I hope it takes a long time to have to make good on this......lol

The 1000th Tile Repair will be on me.......and I will also give that person the very First Tile I ever repaired......T08 Heart w/ Hand......why you ask.....Because I want to share the journey of my repairs from 1- 1000......

I am at a place in life where the things from my past I need to figure out what ways to share and give.....

I have been given so very much over the years and I want to share that.....The tile is special to me and that is why I want to share it with someone......maybe it will be a new collector who just like me received a tile in a box with no bubble......shattered in hundreds of pieces.....

I look forward to renewing my collection in the coming years....once it was incredable,a thing of great awe......honestly I enjoyed the hunt more than the tiles at times......lol.....

So from now to 1000 All tiles will get pictured and robin can help me figure out how to post them....lol.....of all tiles repaired up to 1000.

Please remember Sidsavers are my happiest way to hang my tiles,they work and I hope that only tiles are damaged by careless shipping or something simple rather than crap it fell of the wall....

Brian AKA Sid doctor ....... :beer1: and yes I still work for beer....lol
Beer...........It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:20 pm

coming soon pictures of the next 7-8 tiles that made it through,been down with the flu and work has been trying to kill me off with 60 hour weeks in hell.......by Xmas all tiles here will be back home and enjoying their place on the owners walls......wooohooo.....

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:24 pm

well I better post up before I lose the paper I have been keeping track on......with the 6 tiles here today........the total is 975.....that is 21 tiles in about 60 days........there are 2 more shattered on the way........and am currantly giving Jesus a nose job......lol......yes seriously.

So once the next two get here that will be 977......only 23 away from 1000.......I am curious to see what the 1000th tile here will be.......right now I have some backgamons,black hearts,a blush that is sticky....lol....yes sticky....not the first one like that either....

got a shattered Paris on the way and it is bringing a friend along also shattered....I really should take pictures of these....been kinda down on cold and flu season and not been up to taking pictures....lol....Nyquil and Sids don't mix.....

Well at this rate it will be early summer for the 1000th tile.....

Brian

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Well I am gonna give the new total....it is much much closer....

2 Backgammons,Checkerboard,Blossom,a spade tile...the new card one,Sconce and Midevil rose,Millinium,I know I am missing one......oh yeah...black hearts w script...

right now there is a very broken tile here,so many pieces I am not sure what it even is yet.....

there was aDestiny and a Paris,but those were counted on my last total....if not so be it....

There if my my math is correct 10 more to the total....that brings us up to 987...but let me double check...lol

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 pm

That is indeed 987 tiles including the puzzle one I have here now.....

We are now 13 tiles away from 1000.......dear Lord......lol

Next post I put on the thread will be #1000 and who got the T08 Heart w Hand.....

I still need to send Robin about 75 pictures of tiles to update the repair page.....I am computer stupid....but I managed to crack my photobucket account and get into it....

It is an honor to get to fix all these tiles over the years......lol....I am still only missing about 10 tiles that I have not actually gotten to see in person and hold....out of all the tiles designs Sid made...that is a hard thing to do...lol

Brian

Post Thu May 19, 2011 9:26 pm

the count stands at 991........

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Lets say it is now at a very close count to 1000......I do not want to say how close,and the person who does end up the 1000th will be surprised as I will not even tell them till it arrives at their door....lol....it will be a very nice day to get the surprise in the mail of a free repair,shipping,and a very very special piece of history......I may even dust the T08 off....lol

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Ok I can say for certain......the number today stands at 999 tiles successfully repaired and 3 I not so good......which do not count in the hunt for that 1000th tile......

Right now I have here a Jeweled Gown with a huge chunk out of it.....that was tile 998 and will be most a challenge I have had in a long time.....

Then today number 999 arrived......A very shattered Swallow.......but none the less they bubble wrapped every piece for me....which does help......

So I will not say if the 1000th tile is already on the way....or even in the works to be sent.....but the next time I get a tile it will be special.....

Sorry I have not been on here a lot this summer......I have been building what turned into 3 show cars with friends......and then me gettign my car mostly put together for the end of the Show Season...here is a picture or two of it.....the lip kit in silver is jsut sitting on there,I bought it that morning at the show...lol

Just in case you were wondering it was a 2008 Toyota Yaris...lol

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks for sharing pictures of your car Brian. You certainly have made many changes to it.
Love the rims & the wind-up key. :D

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:56 am

Hey Brian,

Just showed the old man pics of your car...I always refer to you as you know Brian--the tile repair guy :) Anyway, he's very impressed with your car. You got a WOW he's wicked friggin handy LOL

Car's looking great. How do you know so much about so much??

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:47 pm

How do I know so much.......honestly......I grew up dirt poor after my parents divorced as a kid....I mean poor....like we had to make a pot of stew last all week poor.....to this day I cannot eat stew....I love it but cannot eat it.....

So by default I had to learn how to fix anything I ever got.....cause everyhting I ever got was used and usually broken handme downs......

I had a hard childhood,came from a upper middle class family.....then my parents divorce and I chose to live with my mom.....and my dad never paid a dollar of child support so life was tough......

So I had to learn how to make things work if I wanted it pretty much......birthdays and Xmas was basically clothes and rarely a toy.....food and shelter was more important....

So somewhere along the way I just realised I can probably fix,build,or create anything......

For a living I am a Building Maintenance Tech for Sears,just took on my next store today,I have a total of 1.4 million sq ft of building to make right each day,split between 4 buildings......so for a living I fix things...lol

As far as cars go.....my dad was an autobody tech and master mechanic.....so somehow I must of been handed dwon those genitics cause he never showed me nothing...lol

Tiles........well my mom is a natural,and prfessional artist....even though she doesn t do art for a living she could make a lot of money doing so.......must of got that handed down in my genitics as well....lol

So by default.....I can create,fix,build,assemble just about anything.....I dont know how or why short of that explanation......

Much of it is I am very confident in everything I do......I refuse to fail,I am very curious about a lot of things,and most of all I Google ...lol

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Well after a long long long time repairing tiles.......who would of ever guessed.......

THE 1000TH TILE has arrived.......

Untill the owner gives me permission I will not say what it is,but I can say it is a very nice tile,a PQ,hard to find,valuable,was poorly repaired in the past,please never use hot glue......and it is shattered........

The owner sent me 3 tiles so I had the option to pick one of the others.....both area Icons....but.....they have minor chips,and to be honest I did open the shattered one first in the package........so the challenge is now on for me to make the repair......

Of the 1000 tiles I have done to date only 2 tiles were the owners not happy with and payment from them not accepted by me and as such neither tile was counted on the count.......and so as such this one made it 1000........

The owner will receive the repair on it for free.......and the T08 Heart w Hand the 1st tile I repaired......I want to thank everyone over the years fro sending me tiles,it has been an honor and I will continue to repair tiles hopefully not to another 1000,but who knows.....they break and I fix em........

Remember Sid Savers are my only recomendation for hanging tiles,even though there are other products that work fine,I strongly recomend the Sid Savers,and only use them over the years for my own collection......as do many many others.

Brian

Post Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:13 pm

thankyou.....I dont have picture of the tile finished,no camera and cell phone pics are horrid...

It came out pretty good,it was a mess,totally shattered,but all in all at a foot away it looks great and that is as good as I can hope for.I can say I am sure the owner will post up pictures,I know he is on here,he also received my T08,repair #1 that started it all.

Tiles keep coming each week,it is at times a bit wearing,but that is fine,I need life to be busy,and interesting and full of new adventures each day.....

I hope everyone has a wonderful Xmas......please everyone stay safe,no drinking and driving,and most of all enjoy life......

As many know I dont really celebrate Xmas....I dont dislike it,I even give and receive gifts.....for me it is about being able to visit my friends and family,sorta like a gypsy,going place to place,no solid plans....my day begins in the Cemetary and ends who knows where.....my dear deceased friend Ron's Bday is Xmas...so almost yearly I go and have a drink with him and leave him a smoke...this year I plan on gettign everyone the ugly Xmas sweaters.....lol

Next

Return to Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs...