Board index REPAIR & INFO FROM THE SID DOCTOR! Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs... Warning on Ebay User: Merissa919 / Carol Harkness

Warning on Ebay User: Merissa919 / Carol Harkness

sidcollector User avatar
Site Admin

kitkat wrote:
Wow! I'm stunned. I've actually 'spoken' with this person quite a lot by email. I have also bought a great many blocks from her....many. And if memory serves...the blocks that I have purchased from this buyer have all been on the rare/retired side. My purchases were primarily in 2009 when the prices were very, very high....I'm hoping she wasn't engaged in any antics back then.

I am not sure when she started, to be honest. I know she has been a headache to the studio for several years now.

Follow us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sidcollectors/131746530235106

Have a question on collecting: info@sidcollectors.com
Have an unknown item, not listed in SidCLOPEDIA: tips@sidcollectors.com

Sidcollector - Robin

sidcollector User avatar
Site Admin

Clare wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Robin!

Honesty is the best policy. All she needed to do was disclose that the blocks had been repaired.

People are paying top dollar for blocks that they believe to be mint. If they were aware that they actually had been repaired, they may not of purchased them, or not paid as much.

Totally agree Clare.

I don't think there is an honest bone in her body. By setting up this secret ebay account, she is showing INTENT to defraud the community. If her repairs were any good, why not just disclose it? I have seen Brian's repairs sell before, and they sold for close to market value.

I remember one time she made a post on this board, and said "What did I do to upset everybody", etc. At the time she was flooding ebay with new blocks, driving the Sid Dickens studio crazy. I told her to stop flooding ebay with new blocks, and nobody would talk about her again. At the time, she probably had 8-9 new blocks on ebay. HER RESPONSE! She immediately went to ebay and listed 20 new blocks to piss everybody off. This is one crazy Grandmother!

:devil3: :wacky3: :devil3: :wacky3: :devil3: :wacky3:

Follow us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sidcollectors/131746530235106

Sidcollector - Robin

Thanks Robin.....I don't watch eBay as closely as I used to, but have also noticed her buying damaged tiles and suddenly they are repaired and back on eBay as mint....glad you brought this to everyone's attention.

Good catch to whoever caught her new ID name, too!

I looked over my blocks from her and they aren't repaired as far as I can tell.My hubby paid with S&H around 80.00 a piece for a recently retired block so he got a fair deal.I'm ok now that I'm done sighing out lol.Have you tried to contact her Robin?. I am sad as I got another retired this week from another seller that came poorly packaged so it was chipped,Im done with Ebay buying :devil3: .I'm out 50.00 today as I got ripped off,just stabby......I didn't get ripped off from Ms Harkness ,this is just sad for everyone IMHO ....

sidcollector User avatar
Site Admin

If the blocks were recently retired, you should be fine. I doubt they have any damage for her to repair. It's the older blocks, she is altering/repairing.

Sidcollector - Robin

I always take notice of blocks that sell for unusually low prices. I happened to have bookmarked this damaged Liberty. Bought by youguessedit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... INDXX%3AIT

She sold this just a few days ago on the 12th. If you compare the back pictures, that's got to be the same tile! As Robin says, each tile is unique, especially the back. Dead give away is how perfectly spotless the back is. You can see the paint touchups. What kills you is the description: No chips, cracks, or repairs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sid-Dickens-T-1 ... 4ab165a83f

I'm bringing this up cus it was just sold, so it's not too late if the buyer wants to take action.

Do it once you get some slack, do it over and over the noose tightens..

sidcollector User avatar
Site Admin

Good find Vancity. It's 100% the same block.
Robin

Sidcollector - Robin

sidcollector User avatar
Site Admin

I wanted to zoom into a photo, so you can see the detail of her repair. She is not just cleaning up the back, etc. She is remolding plaster and repainting the front of these blocks.

Take a look at this star. She bought this damaged block, repaired it, and sold it in 2 weeks.

The first photo is the damaged block. You can see the lines of the star have some jagged edges and paint is missing from several areas of the star.

In the second photo all the stars now have clean edges (the plaster) and the black paint looks brand new (because, it is).

Don't let her fool you. She has been in full repair mode for a long time now. She was so paranoid about being caught, she created a second private ebay account for buying up the damaged blocks.

Here is the gate we have listed in this thread. The damaged gate had several chips on the front. Here is one of the chips she repaired. In the second photo you can see she remolded the plaster, to match the design.

Sidcollector - Robin

I emailed her and she had a tile in transit hubby bought for me(3rd one from her) that I already have.I returned it and she gave me 2 new tiles in return for the retired one I sent back.This is sad for everyone involved.I'm pleased with how things turned out.I think if anyone has a problem with any Ebay buy from any seller or something doesn't feel right,contact seller or don't buy it lol...wish I had applied this theory to 2 other transactions I did last week...bought a tile shipped incorrectly,got ripped off on a shirt and 3 packages still haven't arrived.....listen to your gut or ask questions lolol

sidcollector User avatar
Site Admin

zbellasmom wrote:
I emailed her and she had a tile in transit hubby bought for me(3rd one from her) that I already have.I returned it and she gave me 2 new tiles in return for the retired one I sent back.This is sad for everyone involved.I'm pleased with how things turned out.I think if anyone has a problem with any Ebay buy from any seller or something doesn't feel right,contact seller or don't buy it lol...wish I had applied this theory to 2 other transactions I did last week...bought a tile shipped incorrectly,got ripped off on a shirt and 3 packages still haven't arrived.....listen to your gut or ask questions lolol

Looks like she is trying to save face! As I mentioned earlier, I doubt a new block has any damage for her to fix. So you should be fine with the replacements. It's the retired blocks you have to be concerned with. Looks like she has been altering them all.

Hopefully we have seen the last of her. If she continues, she will have a much harder time flipping repaired blocks. At this point, everybody is watching her. My email box has been flooded with collectors I don't even know. Everybody is concerned with this lady.

As a favor to Sid Dickens, avoid buying her new blocks on ebay. The studio has talked about this before, and I know they would be very grateful to everybody. The recession has been tough on everybody and we need to support our local dealers. With the crazy prices this lady is charging for new blocks, you will actually save money buying from a dealer.

Sidcollector - Robin

She has been posting some very strange comments with her listings.

Here is just one of them;

"Full of chips, cracks, and repairs.
Actually pretty bad condition now that I think about it.
Think I'm really getting the hang of this full disclosure concept.
Some of you ebayers have a pretty wicked sense of humor and are making my day.
More updates to my listings shortly."

sidcollector User avatar
Site Admin

This lady has a screw loose. If anybody had any doubts before, they don't any more.

I have been hearing some crazy stuff offline. She claims these are all lies, that she never repaired anything! WHAT!!!!!! It seems like everything in her possession just magically repairs itself.

As we posted back in August, Sid Dickens really needs our support in avoiding this seller, and others that cause havoc to the Sid Dickens Studio & Community.

http://www.sidcollectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2511

Sidcollector - Robin

Since there is actual proof via the old and new eBay listings....can't she be turned in and her account removed from eBay??? Even if you were not a person that bought a tile from her, you have absolute proof of fraud. It also gives eBay a bad name....they don't want that.
Just wondering???

Joanie

High Everyone.....yes I know I dont come on enough.....I am just really busy trying to live,work,and raise a teenager.......

Today it was brought to my attention that I was in a listing.......first let me say this will stop now......I have not repaired the tile that my name was posted in the auction,never had my hands on this tile.........I did not appreciate it being said I was trained by Shaun Dingman.......no offense to Shaun........I learned to repair tiles due to being poor......and it led to more and more tiles that people send to the point that I am over 1000 repaired now and that is that.....

Shaun years ago actually did help me out by telling me what colors of Acrylics are used,types of glazes that work,things like that,in fact he was most polite and helpfull to me.....but training.....no....sorry....

Very few of the tiles I have repaired have actually ended up for resale,and of those that have the vast majority of them were minor chips.

I have no problems with anyone making their own repairs,in fact if a person can,then do so.....my problem is one of Integrity.......or the lack of it in people.

I have gone through my records and yes indeed a have repaired tiles for Carol.....many years back,and although she is not on my do not make repairs for again list,if my name is continued to be used to create silly drama she will be.

I do not make repairs for others to flip a profit.....I make repairs so the person who broke a tile by accident has a way to bring back their tile to their wall or table and be able to enjoy its continued story.

Fact of the matter I have had over the final years of my marriage sell off most of my collection to make ends meet,then after/during my divorce sell off the rest of my collection just to be able to keep a roof over my head and that of my son.

I have as of today.......1 tile left,it was from a seconds sale and signed by Sid to me....I still have a few broken tiles around that are so broken even I did not want to fix them....lol.....I even still manged to keep my AIM Litograph prints.......

I love Memory Blocks and the prints and all the other wonder items Sid and his Artists have created.I love the wonderful people who over the years I have gotten to meet from all over the world.

I honestly feel sad for anyone who has lies and greed in their daily life........

Brian
Beer...........It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Hi All,

I've just had a look at every one of Carol's current listings on eBay. I'm shocked to read some of the stuff in some of her item descriptions. I'm not going to claim to understand even a half of what she's written but it sounds to me as though she's become somewhat.....unhinged??...certainly quite annoyed, disturbed by recent events. On one of the listings, Black Lace, she claims to be running a contest if anyone can guess the names of her 'unnamed' two children. On her Naturlich listing she apologizes for putting a retailer out of business. And on it goes.
I'm wondering if she has access to this site? I'm also wondering what others' have asked....is there nothing eBay can do in this case.....we are talking about 'items not as described' and intentional fraud. You have likely already done this and I've just missed it...but could you disclose the Buyer i.d she uses to pick up the damaged blocks. I have some I may want to list and would like to prevent them from being repaired and then re-sold as 'mint'.
I find this whole thing disturbing....particularly her reaction as apparent in some of her listing descriptions.

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Sid Doctor? About Repairs...